- Personal information we collect
- Use of your information
- How Edimer handles privacy internally
- Your privacy choices
- Updating your personal information and contacting Edimer
- Children's privacy
Personal information we collect
Information we collect from visitors
Visitors to each of our websites can access the website's home page, and browse some areas of the site, without disclosing any personally identifiable information. We do track information provided to us by your browser, including the website you came from (known as the referring URL), the type of browser you use, the time and date of access, and other information that does not personally identify you. On some of our sites, you must register to access portions of the site.
In addition, we gather information about you that is automatically collected by our web server, such as your IP address and domain name. Edimer may use web server and browser information to individually customize its offerings and presentations if you submit your personal information.
Information we collect when you register
Visitors registering for services on our websites are asked to provide identifying information, such as name, gender, and contact information. On the registration screen, we clearly label which information is required for registration, and which information is optional and may be given at your discretion. Edimer websites obtain visitors' consent before collecting personally identifiable information.
Information from outside sources
We may also collect information about physicians or other health care professionals who register on our websites from other sources in order to verify their licensure status and identity.
From time to time we may augment our existing user databases with legally obtained information from third parties. Some of this information may be personally identifiable, such as national change of address information. We do this to better target our information offerings and promotional campaigns and to provide pertinent offers in which we think you would be interested.
- We may also collect information that you voluntarily provide to us through responses to surveys, search functions, questionnaires, feedback, Tell Your Story forms and the like.
- We may also ask you to provide additional information such as your email address if you want to obtain additional services or information or to resolve complaints or concerns.
Your web browser can be set to allow you to control whether you will accept cookies, reject cookies, or to notify you each time a cookie is sent to you. If your browser is set to reject cookies, websites that are cookie-enabled will not recognize you when you return to the website, and some website functionality may be lost. The Help section of your browser will tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting cookies.
Although cookies do not normally contain personally identifiable information, if you have provided us information about you, we may associate your registration information with cookies or other tracking utilities our website places on your computer's hard drive. Associating a cookie with your registration data allows us to offer increased personalization and functionality. Without cookies, this functionality would not be possible.
In addition, we may use other tracking systems like pixel-tags. Pixel tags, sometimes called web beacons, are similar in function to a cookie. But because of their insignificant size, it is not visible; though, they are used to pass certain information to our servers to personalize our websites and to track your usage across other Edimer websites. In addition, we may also use pixel tags in our HTML based emails.
How we use the information
We gather aggregate data about visitors to our websites for product and service development and improvement activities. We also use it for market analysis. We may provide information from our websites in aggregate form, with identifying information removed, to third parties. When aggregate health information is provided, we pool it from many individual records and strip it of any data that could be used to identify an individual before it is used. Any third party that receives aggregated health care data must agree not to attempt to re-identify the people it belongs to.
Marketing/Health Care Messages
We may target our marketing and health care messaging depending on information we have about you. For example, a user we know is a woman may receive information on products targeted at women that a male user will not see, or a user who we know is a health care professional who treats arthritis may receive information for new arthritis therapies. We may send information to you that we may believe will benefit you, including information about any Edimer product.
We may also personalize our website based on your interests. For example, you may see different articles in different places on our website based on information you have shared with us, or information we have gained by reviewing your previous visits, or information we may have gained from your interactions with a third party that shares information with us.
When we share information with third parties working on behalf of Edimer, we use our best efforts to assure that they agree in writing to abide by Edimer privacy policies.
If we discover that a third party working on behalf of Edimer inappropriately disclosed personal information about any of our visitors, we will take immediate action to prevent further occurrences.
Other than as described above, Edimer will not release personally identifiable information to a third party without your consent.
If you choose to use our referral function to tell a friend about our site, our site will ask you for your friend's name and email address as well as your information. The form automatically sends your friend a one-time email inviting him or her to visit the site. We do not access or store this information, except to send this invitation.
Protection of information
How Edimer handles privacy internally
Our commitment to security
We have put in place appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and help prevent unauthorized access, maintain data security, and correctly use the information we collect online.
We have implemented technology and security policies, rules, and other measures to protect the personal data that we have under our control from unauthorized access, improper use, alteration, unlawful or accidental destruction, and accidental loss. We also protect your information by requiring that all our employees and others who have access to or are associated with the processing of your data respect your confidentiality.
Edimer uses security methods to determine the identity of each registered user, so that appropriate rights and restrictions can be enforced for that user.
Storage of health information
Information in our data centers is backed up routinely, in order to aid in the recovery of information in the event of accidental damage of information or due to a natural disaster. The backup media is stored in a physically secure storage facility.
In addition to aggregate information (discussed previously), we may share some kinds of information with third parties as described below.
- Companies and people who work for us: we often contract with other companies and individuals to help us provide services. For example, we may host some of our websites on another company's computers, hire technical consultants to maintain our web-based health sites, or work with companies to remove repetitive information from customer lists, analyze data, provide marketing assistance, and provide customer service. In order to perform their jobs, these other companies may have limited access to some of the personal information we maintain about our users. Other companies may collect information on our behalf through their sites. This occasionally incorporates the use of frames on the site that will not show the URL you are visiting in the browser address window. We require such companies to comply with the terms of our privacy policies, to limit their access to any personal information to the minimum necessary to perform their obligations, and not to use the information they may access for purposes other than fulfilling their responsibilities to us. We use our best efforts to limit other companies' use of personally identifiable or health care information.
- Promotional and informational offers: Sometimes we send offers to selected groups of customers. To accomplish this we may use third parties working on behalf of Edimer. We provide a variety of mechanisms for you to tell us you do not want to receive such promotional — informational offers. For example, we may provide an opt-in box for customers to receive information that is sent by a third-party fulfillment house, and we make clear that, by opting in, you are submitting your data to a third-party. You can elect not to receive promotional or informational material from us by following the instructions to opt-out as mentioned or included in each of our programs we send to you.
- Legal requirements: We may release account and other personal information when we believe release is required to comply with law. We may release personal health information if, in our judgment after review by an attorney, the release is compelled by law or regulation, or if the release may be necessary to prevent the death or serious injury of an individual.
Your privacy choices
When you complete registration into our databases, you will be given the option of receiving recurring informational/promotional email from Edimer and third parties working with Edimer. You may opt-out from receiving this email when you provide the information or follow the instructions as mentioned in the email or included in each program we send to you.
We will unsubscribe you from that newsletter or other programs within ten business days.
Onward transfer (transfers to third parties)
We will provide you with notice and choice before either personal information or sensitive information is transferred by us to a third party.
Updating your personal information and contacting Edimer
You can always contact us in order to (i) remove the personal information that you have provided to us from our systems, (ii) update the personal information that you have provided to us, and (iii) change your preferences with respect to marketing contacts by emailing us.
We are committed to protecting the privacy of children. We do not collect personally identifiable information from any person we actually know is a child under the age of 13.
1 Broadway, 8th Floor
Cambridge, MA 02142
Tel: +1 617-758-4300
Fax: +1 866-334-4240